- East Tennessee Heart Consultants
- Knoxville, Tennessee
- Chief Financial Officer 5/06 - 12/07
- Managed accounting and finance
functions for 40-member cardiology practice generating $100 million
in annual charges and $40 million in annual collections. Personally
addressed frequent and diverse requests for financial information
from doctors and fellow administrators.
- Enhanced financial reporting
flexibility by using FRx software to generate reports by specific
cost and revenue centers on the corporations organizational
tree. Replaced complex hard-coded financial statement formats
previously used for reporting. Consolidated chart of accounts.
- Calculated mid-year and year-end
distributions of net income to shareholders following IRS regulations
for professional corporations. Provided input concerning structure
of compensation plan, especially with regard to pre-tax and post-tax
treatment of deduction categories.
- Worked with large, regional
banks to secure $7.0 million credit facility and coordinated
execution of interest rate swaps. Evaluated wholesale lockbox,
online treasury and credit card processing service offerings.
- Extensively used Microsoft Access
to analyze data contained in ODBC-compliant tables underlying
the practices Centricity patient management system and
Great Plains general ledger.
- Negotiated letter of intent
and purchase agreement for sale of fixed assets to a physician
leaving the group to start his own practice. Arranged leasing
terms with non-affiliated vascular surgeon for part-time use
of Nurse Practitioner and office space.
- Enforced compliance with a corporate
integrity agreement signed in connection with a settlement with
the investigative arm of the federal government (OIG). Developed
and trained employees about the practices policies and
procedures. Initiated processing of 9,500 patient refund checks
by importing vendors and transactions into Great Plains
AP module using data integration tools.
- Parson Consulting - Houston,
- Lead Consultant 4/04 - 5/06
- Conducted a series of meetings
with executives from Manchester, UK area hospitals to collect
pricing data for mobile diagnostic procedures to be outsourced
to the private sector by the British National Health Service.
- Analyzed efficiency of recovery
efforts for $730 million of duplicate 2004 payments issued by
approximately 40 vendors involved in claims processing for a
Fortune 100 health insurance company.
- Guided process owners employed
by a multi-national construction firm throughout documentation
and testing phases of section 404 of the Sarbanes Oxley Act of
2002. Discussed significance of findings with the firms
external auditors. Prepared detailed narratives and COSO matrices
to summarize control activities.
- Reviewed team members
flowcharts created to visually depict control activities in operation
at a major national healthcare provider. Constructed a series
of standard matrices to describe key controls, workflows and
gaps occurring at multiple locations throughout the companys
Southern California region. Directed the development of a Microsoft
Access database to summarize exceptions and results collected
during the documentation and testing phases of the project.
- Advised team assembled to assess,
document and remediate the process of recording expenditures
critical to the continued preservation of a health organizations
- IDT Corporation - Newark,
- Divisional Controller of Winstar Communications
1/03 - 2/04
- Developed new process for tracking
revenue and eliminated four-week lag in recording monthly income.
Identified discrepancies between the daily change in 38,000 customer
account balances and total transaction activity posted to IDTs
proprietary accounts receivable system by uploading and manipulating
data within Microsoft Access. Collaborated with MIS department
system reporting variances. Initiated reporting process for aging
divisions total accounts receivable balance and analyzed
level of reserves to cover doubtful accounts.
- Coordinated transition of accounting
processes and reporting functions following division's conversion
from PeopleSoft to Oracle Financials software.
- Shortened monthly financial
reporting cycle by six days. Increased corporate controllers
financial statement distribution frequency from quarterly to
- Viatel Telecommunications
- New York, New York
- Director of Accounting 6/00 - 12/02
- Prepared monthly financial reporting
package following reporting requirements of the U.S. bankruptcy
court of Delaware.
- Developed extensive PeopleSoft
version 7.5 experience working within the general ledger, fixed
asset, and accounts payable modules. Created original queries,
trees, and nVision layouts. Established business rules for business
units, chart fields, general options, and asset processing procedures.
Maintained and tested foreign currency revaluations in a three-ledger
- Responsible for consolidating
operations of three companies valuated in several currencies.
Prepared 10-Q, 10-K, S-3, S-4, and 8-K financial statements and
footnotes for filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Converted approximately 9,500
fixed assets from spreadsheets and legacy software to PeopleSoft
- Updated weighted average shares
outstanding and recorded equity effects of option exercises,
warrant conversions and issuances and forfeitures of restricted
- BGO Practice Management -
New Orleans, Louisiana
Start-up Consultant 1/00 - 6/00
- Provided accounting and management
advisory services to independent physician practitioners and
- Constructed beginning financial
statements for several physicians utilizing prior years' tax
returns and bank statements.
- Participated in the implementation
and maintenance of computer networks, and the development of
- Kozmo.com - New York, New
Director of Cash Management 7/99 -
- Initiated cash management process
for tracking, investing, and drawing from $115 million of venture
- Created Access database to calculate
two-tier amortization of 50,000-title rental video library.
- Established financial reporting
system for analyzing the consolidated or individual budget-toactual
performance of seven regional e-commerce markets.
- Analyzed and adjusted balance
sheet accounts and worked with external auditors to prepare quarterly
statements as documentation for private investors and for the
SEC during IPO filing process.
- Participated in the selection,
design, and implementation of company-wide Oracle Fast Forward
ERP inventory and general ledger solution.
- The Louisiana Clinic - New
Chief Financial Officer 5/94 - 3/99
Accountant 5/93 - 5/94
- Directed accounts receivable,
payable, payroll and all general ledger accounting activities
for a variety of companies structured under many divisions of
- Reorganized a single-specialty
medical practice as a multi-specialty clinic via a complete financial
- Administered several employee
benefit plans. Reviewed annual testing, prepared 5500 forms,
and ensured compliance with changing IRS and ERISA regulations.
- Assisted in the in-house development
of integrated clinical management/medical billing software. Prepared
and received approval from stockholders for a proposal to upgrade
the company's entire computer network.
- Coopers and Lybrand - Chicago,
Associate 3/92 - 1/93
- Consulted the Resolution Trust
Corporation for a project involving general ledger analysis and
- Reconciled general ledger activity
to newly established subsidiary ledger itemizing the assets of
67 consolidated savings and loan institutions.
- Reviewed the accuracy of sales,
write-offs, discoveries, and adjustments posted to all asset
- JMB Realty Corporation -
Partnership Accountant 7/90 - 1/92
Staff Accountant 10/87 - 7/90
- Managed financial accounting
for syndicated real estate limited partnerships investing in
commercial, retail, and residential properties.
- Analyzed total portfolio value
of individual properties on an annual basis utilizing lease simulation
- Presented cash flow information
to corporate executives for use in determining quarterly income
- Compiled quarterly (10Q) and
annual (10K) financial statements in accordance with the requirements
of the SEC.
- Assisted external auditors with
annual tax and GAAP-basis financial audits of portfolios.
Certified Public Accountant
- Illinois - May 1988
- Master of Business Administration
- Loyola University of Chicago,
- Cumulative Grade Point Average:
- Received full-tuition scholarship
for entire program
- Bachelors of Science in Accounting
- Arizona State University, August
- Cumulative Grade Point Average:
- Completed two undergraduate
degrees within three years
- Highly proficient in using software
programs including Windows; Outlook; Excel (including macros
and pivot tables); Word; Access; Oracle Financials, PeopleSoft,
Platinum Premier General Ledger, Great Plains; MAS90, Peachtree
Accounting and Quickbooks; FRX Report Writer, ADP, Paychex and
ABRA Pay payroll software; GEs Centricity Medical Billing
Software; CorelDraw; Photoshop; HTML Programming and various
Internet-based applications using PCs, Macintoshes, and related